October 7, 2009

B-school journey

Like many others in the b-school blogosphere, I am contributing my thoughts and experiences to anyone interested.  It was only about 3 months ago that I decided to apply for an MBA program and since that time I've had to scramble to research schools, study and take the GMAT, and organize all of the essays, recommendations, and applications for the schools to which I'm applying.  Now, with two applications done and sent in and one more coming due next week, I am approaching probably the most difficult task...waiting!  Here is a run down of the process I'm going through including the schools I'm considering.  I've applied to Harvard, Wharton, and (next week) Tuck.  After those three round one applications, I've selected four other schools for round two: UChicago, Fuqua, Kellogg, Darden.  The first two schools mentioned are no brainers for anyone who aspires to join an elite program and launch a successful business career post-MBA.  I obviously have some hope of gaining admittance to those schools, why else would I drop a cool $250/each?  But like many others, it is a slim chance and I have a realistic view of my standing.  Tuck is my #3 option, which may seem odd to many out there.  The reason I have Tuck so high on my list is partly because of the reputation/quality and partly because of the intangibles it has:


1) The "unique" experience of living in the middle-of-nowhere northeast part of the country.  I love the outdoors and I would love the opportunity to have so many winter activities available.
2) The close-knit community is not just something they put on their website.  After visiting Tuck with my wife, it was easy to see that there is a genuine sense of family among the students.  Having two kids to take with me on my MBA journey, I have to put a lot of emphasis on the family environment and Tuck definitely excels in that area.
3) The alumni are extremely loyal and devoted to the program, that should tell you everything right there.


Round two applications don't come around for my other four schools until after the notification deadlines for the first three...meaning that I won't have to pay any more exorbitant application fees until I'm sure I'm not getting into one of my first choices.


This is an exciting time and I'm sure that once the application process wraps up and I finally get an "Admitted" decision it will be even more exciting.  Let me know what you think of my school choices, I'd love to hear from anyone else on their thought process.

No comments:

Post a Comment